gopass is a password manager for the command line written in Go. It supports all major operating systems (Linux, MacOS, BSD) as well as Windows.
For detailed usage and installation instructions please check out our documentation.
Gopass is a versatile command line based password manager that is being developed with the following principles in mind:
- Easy: For technical users (i.e. those who are used to the command line) it should be easy to get started with gopass.
- Secure: Security is hard. We aim to make it as easy as possible while still providing a good level of protection against common adversaries. Caution: If your personal threat level is very high, we might not offer a good tool for you.
- Extensible: While Gopass includes a fair amount of useful features, we can't cover every use-case. To support more special use cases we want to provide a clean and simple API to integration gopass into your own binaries.
Please see docs/features.md for an extensive list of all features along with several usage examples.
|Secure secret storage||stable||Securely storing encrypted secrets|
|Recipient management||beta||Easily manage multiple users of each store|
|Multiple stores||stable||Mount multiple stores in your root store, like file systems|
|password quality assistance||beta||Checks existing or new passwords for common flaws|
|password leak checker||integration||Perform offline checks against known leaked passwords|
|PAGER support||stable||Automatically invoke a pager on long output|
|JSON API||integration||Allow gopass to be used as a native extension for browser plugins|
|Automatic fuzzy search||stable||Automatically search for matching store entries if a literal entry was not found|
|gopass sync||stable||Easy to use syncing of remote repos and GPG keys|
|Desktop Notifications||stable||Display desktop notifications and completing long running operations|
|REPL||beta||Integrated Read-Eval-Print-Loop shell with autocompletion.|
|Extensions||Extend gopass with custom commands using our API|
Please see docs/setup.md.
If you have Go 1.14 (or greater) installed:
GO111MODULE=on go get github.com/gopasspw/gopass
WARNING: Please prefer releases, unless you want to contribute to the development of gopass. The master branch might not be very well tested and can contain breaking changes without further notice.
To upgrade with Go installed, run:
go get -u github.com/gopasspw/gopass
Otherwise, use the setup docs mentioned in the installation section to reinstall the latest version.
This project uses GitHub Flow. In other words, create feature branches from master, open an PR against master, and rebase onto master if necessary.
We aim for compatibility with the latest stable Go Release only.
While this project is maintained by volunteers in their free time we aim to triage issues weekly and release a new version at least every quarter.
Credit & License
gopass is licensed under the terms of the MIT license. You can find the complete text in
Please refer to the Git commit log for a complete list of contributors.
gopass is developed in the open. Here are some of the channels we use to communicate and contribute:
- Issue tracker: Use the GitHub issue tracker to file bugs and feature requests.
- gopassbridge: Browser plugin for Firefox, Chrome and other Chromium based browsers
- kubectl gopass: Kubernetes / kubectl plugin to support reading and writing secrets directly from/to gopass.
- gopass alfred: Alfred workflow to use gopass from the Alfred Mac launcher
gopass-git-credentials: Integrate gopass as an git-credential helper
gopass-hibp: haveibeenpwned.com leak checker
gopass-jsonapi: native messaging for browser plugins, e.g. gopassbridge
terraform-provider-gopass: a Terraform provider to interact with gopass
- chezmoi: dotfile manager with gopass support
We welcome any contributions. Please see the CONTRIBUTING.md file for instructions on how to submit changes.